Power BI is a data visualisation and analytics tool used by Obzervr to display the data collected in Obzervr Capture and Manager in a useful, interactive and dynamic way. For example, Power BI can be used to illustrate container costs over a quarterly monitoring round or to display the distribution of critical defects in a fleet of mining equipment.
Coupled with Microsoft's other cognitive services, it's possible to use AI in conjunction with IOT data in real time. Power BI can collate IOT, SQL database, Excel and many other data sources. With those exciting opportunities in mind, here are 8 quick tips to get started with Power BI.
8 Quick Tips for navigating Microsoft Power BI
Access Power BI from this URL: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/
- Sign in using the username and password provided to you by Obzervr.
For example, email@example.com is the username. Alternatively, create a log in with your own username and password. Find a free 60-day trial of Power BI Pro here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/get-started/.
You will be directed to your homepage https://app.powerbi.com/favorites
- Select Shared with me from the menu of the left side of the screen.
- Select YourPowerBI from the list of Dashboards available.
- You will view the Dashboard. To access the tabs and interact with the tables and graphs, you will need to access the Report.
- To do this, hover over the page and select the … icon in the top right corner of the Dashboard or click on a graph or table displayed on the Dashboard.
- You are now in a Report. You can now drill-through to another tab. To do this, right click on a line item in a table and drill-through to show more specific information on another tab.
- Hover your mouse over the top right corner of a table and select More Options from the drop down menu. Click Export data to export the table to Excel.
- To print a tab, navigate to the File dropdown in the top left corner and select Print Current Page. Depending on your browser (i.e. Google Chrome), you will be able to print preview. Change the layout to Select Print.